1. Entertainment

OLTL Mourns the Loss of Another Star!

By February 7, 2009

Phil Carey (Llanview's Asa Buchanan) Dead at Age 83 - Photo copyright by ABC Daytime Actor Phil Carey (Llanview's feisty patriarch Asa Buchanan) has died! The 83-year old star died on Friday, February 6, just one week after his former co-star Clint Ritchie (ex-Clint Buchanan) also passed away. No known cause of Carey's death has been reported, however, he had been diagnosed and underwent chemotherapy for lung cancer back in June, 2006.

Eugene Carey was born July 15, 1925 in Hackensack, New Jersey and grew up on Long Island. As a young man, Carey joined the U.S. Marines and served in both World War II and the Korean War, and briefly attend New York's Mohawk University, followed by the University of Miami where he studied drama. During his college years, he met and eventually married, Maureen Peppler. After getting married, the couple had three children, Linda, Jeffrey and Lisa.

The 6'4" actor made his film debut in John Wayne's Operation Pacific in 1951, and later went on to star in such films as Cattle Town, The Man Behind the Gun, Calamity Jane, The Nebraskan and The Long Gray Line. During the 60's and 70's, Carey, guest starred in various television shows, including such hits as The Rifleman, The Virginian and Gunsmoke.

After his divorce from his first wife, Carey married a much younger woman named Colleen Welch, in 1976 and later had two more children by her, daughter Shannon (born in 1980) and son Sean (born in 1983).

It was in 1979, when Phil Carey, was offered the part of Asa Buchanan on ABC's One Life to Live, and became one of Llanview's most pivotal characters to hit town. Asa Buchanan, along with his sons Bo and Clint Buchanan, became key components to almost every major storyline over the next 25 years or so. In 2007, after being on contract with OLTL for 28 years, the show had opted not to renew his contract. After Carey had refused to go on recurring status, OLTL wrote his character off with Asa's death. In a surprise treat for many of his fans, Phil Carey, did make a few last guest appearances in 2008.

Phil Carey will surely be missed by his many fans, but will remain in the hearts of those who loved him and his outstanding character, the unforgettable - Asa Buchanan!

• A Photo Gallery of Asa Buchanan's Wives
  • Ruler of the Roast - Soap Opera Digest Interview with Actor Phil Carey
  • A Look Back at Llanview - 40th Anniversary Tribute (Includes photos of Asa Buchanan)
  • Comments

February 8, 2009 at 4:40 pm
    (1) Terri says:

Phil Carey will be missed very much by his fans. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

February 8, 2009 at 4:59 pm
    (2) Lorraine says:

I loved Phil Carey, he will be missed.

February 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm
    (3) Jillian says:

God Bless Phil Carey, may he rest in peace. Asa was always one of my favorite characters, even in flashbacks, he remains as vital to the show as ever! I am so saddened to read this.

February 8, 2009 at 10:55 pm
    (4) Christine says:

I just recently went to a rare screening of the 1956 film Wicked As They Come, which starred Phil Carey and Arlene Dahl. It was fantastic! After seeing it, I understood why they were cast together on One Life to Live years later. I hope that it is released on DVD someday soon so that Phil Carey’s fans can see him in a great film noir.

February 9, 2009 at 12:12 am
    (5) Linda Ward says:

Phil Carey will be greatly missed. I missed him when he left the show and his legacy will never be forgotten. He was a special actor.

February 9, 2009 at 6:18 am
    (6) Roxxane Williams says:

I love Phil Carey so much, He is the one that made one life to live. He will be greatly missed. I love You so much, You are my Sweetheart.

February 9, 2009 at 12:39 pm
    (7) MarleneEmmett says:

You left out one of PhilCarey’s best movies:
    he played “Manion” in the movie “Mr.Robert’s”
    with Henry Fonda!!!
    If you need a full listing of his career I’d
    suggest that you go to the website:
    For any celebrities career in television,
    Film or theatre!!! It will help you to write
    better when it comes to their passing.

I will really miss Phil Carey and also his
    TV son, ClintRitchie!!!!!!
    I feel so sorry for the castmates of “OLTL”:
    Both Phil and Clint were such a intregal part
    of that show/family. they will be missed!!!

February 10, 2009 at 11:06 am
    (8) Denise says:

I am sadden of hear of Asa and (Original)Clint both passing. I didn’t know about Clint til now! They were both great actors on One Life! I know many viewers are going to wonder if they show should not of let Phil go when they did, I know that he had cancer, but it makes even harder for the One Life cast to know that 2 of the best actors are gone. The 2 will be miss….

February 10, 2009 at 11:22 am
    (9) Brenda says:

I am so sad! I loved Phil Carey and missed him terribly on OLTL. Those Buchanan men- Carey, Ritchie and Woods-always made me smile, or in the case of Asa and Nigel, laugh. Rest in peace Phil, and to your family I say, “thank you for sharing him with us.” God bless you and Clint.

February 10, 2009 at 12:27 pm
    (10) Debbie Niemczyk says:

So sad to hear that! The Buchanan men were the best on “One Life To Live”. ‘Asa’ and ‘Nigel’ scenes were so entertaining.

February 10, 2009 at 3:07 pm
    (11) Rain says:

Ive watched OLTL since I was in hugaroos! I can remember mi mum recording it on de VHS… :-) I definitely feel that they need to have a special show to commemorate their contributions to de show!!!!!! Asa is unreplacable!! You definitely couldnt subsitute his character!!!! You will be missed… this is as sad as Phoebe and Myrtle from All MY Children dying :-(

February 12, 2009 at 9:50 am
    (12) Deb says:

I so loved Asa. He was one you loved to hate at times! He loved his boys and had such a soft spot for Viki.

I admire Phil for leaving the show and not want to be back burned on this show. He like ES made OLTL. I so enjoyed him when he did the past couple of shows! It made me want more of Asa. Both he and Clint will be missed. It still makes me made that this show let both of them go!

February 15, 2009 at 11:06 am
    (13) Terri W. says:

What can you say about the passing of two wonderful men and actors like Phil Carey and Clint Ritchie? It’s so sad and the true passing of an era for OLTL. No disrespect meant to the new “Clint”, but to me, Carey, Ritchie and Woods ARE The Buchanan Boys. Period.

February 15, 2009 at 12:05 pm
    (14) Rosie J says:

Phil and Clint have passed on to a better place.They are truly missed.May God be with
    their Families continuously.
    Rosie J

February 15, 2009 at 2:05 pm
    (15) Sharon says:

I hope some hoe they put some type of memory on the show…they both will be misses…

February 15, 2009 at 3:51 pm
    (16) joe says:

Mr.Carey you will be soarly missed. Nobody in daytime could play such a multidementional character in patriarch Asa Buchanan as good as you. Been watching for 22 yrs, we will keep watching in your memory Asa!

February 15, 2009 at 5:31 pm
    (17) Charlene says:

Both actors will be missed. I will keep both families in my prayers.
    I did enjoy those scenes between Asa and Nigel.

February 17, 2009 at 6:25 pm
    (18) manon says:

Very sad times
    my thoughts are w/his family
    The OLTL family will never be the same w/out him that is for sure…
    Haven was in need of angels I guess….
    Go shape things up , up there Phil. We all will miss you greatly
    a Canadian fan

September 17, 2009 at 2:42 pm
    (19) jessica_mayle_cruz@yahoo.com says:

I was so sad to learn of Phils death. I named my first born after Asa. My heart is with his family and friends.