As announced, One Life to Live and All My Children will return this spring with episodes airing on Hulu, Hulu Plus and iTunes. The official start date for both soaps will be on Monday, April 29, 2013. There has been some confusion on how this will exactly work and if there will be a cost for viewers.
So here is a brief explanation on how these media platforms work.
First up is Hulu – what is it and what will it cost?
According to the definition from Wikipedia, “Hulu is a website and over-the-top (OTT) subscription service offering ad-supported on-demand streaming video of TV shows, movies, webisodes and other new media, trailers, clips, and behind-the-scenes footage from NBC, Fox, ABC, TBS, and many other networks and studios.” Basically, this is just a media platform in which users connect to through the internet, which allows them to have access to content which Hulu has made available online. Connecting to Hulu's content through a computer is free, but the upgrade to Hulu Plus will cost the user a monthly service fee.
So what is the difference between Hulu and Hulu Plus?
Basically, “regular” Hulu is only available at Hulu.com through the use of an internet-connected device, such as a personal computer. There is no software required to download, however these are the basic requirements for your computer:
- Adobe Flash 10.1.53.64 or above
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or above, Firefox 2.0 or above, Safari 3.0 or above, or Chrome
- Microsoft Windows XP SP2 or above, Macintosh OS X 10.5 “Leopard” or above, or Linux
This regular version of Hulu is free, but keep in mind that there is limited content available for viewing, and will contain advertisements. Although OLTL and AMC will be available on “regular” Hulu, viewers can only watch the current episode available.
Hulu Plus does give viewers much more flexibility for a minimum monthly fee of $7.99/month. This ad-supported subscription service offers more current and past season shows from ABC, Comedy Central, The CW, FOX, NBC and MTV.
However, the biggest advantage with Hulu Plus is by far the numerous devices that viewers can use in order to watch their favorite shows. Once you pay for your Hulu Plus subscription you can activate it on as many devices that you want, however keep in mind that you can only stream to two devices at a time. With Hulu Plus, you also have the ability to watch previous episodes of both soaps, and all episodes will also be commercial-free.
Here is a list of the most popular Mobile devices on which Hulu Plus can be used on:
- Apple iPhone 3GS, 4S or 5 (Running iOS 5.0 or above)
- Apple iPad or iPad mini (Running iOS 5.0 or above)
- Apple iPod touch 3rd, 4th and 5th Generation (Running iOS 5.0 or above)
- Android Phones and Tablets
- Amazon Kindle Fire (Fire and Fire HD)
- Google Nexus Tablets
- Nook (Nook Tablet and Nook HD)
- Ninetendo 3DS
- Windows 8 – Tablets, Laptops and Desktops
- Microsoft Xbox 360
- Sony PlayStation 3
- Wii U
Popular Gaming Consoles, including:
- Samsung TVs and Blu-Rays (Select Apps Enabled TVs and Blu-ray Players)
- VIZIO TVs and Blu-Rays (Select Internet Enabled TVs and Blu-ray Players)
- Sony TVs and Blu-Rays (‘09+ BRAVIA TVs, ’09+ BRAVIA Blu-ray Players, Netbox and Dash)
- LG TVs and Blu-Rays (Select Internet Enabled Devices)
- Panasonic TVs and Blu-Rays (Select Internet Enabled Devices)
- Sharp TVs (Select Internet Enabled Devices)
- Philips TVs (Select Internet Enabled Devices)
- Toshiba Blu-rays (Select Internet Enabled Devices)
- Dynex Blu-rays
- Denon Blu-rays
- Marantz Blu-rays
- Apple TV
- Roku Streaming Player
- TiVo Premiere
- WD TV Media Players
- RCA Media Players
- Netgear Media Players
- Funai Streaming Player
Basically iTunes is a free app which you can download to play digital music and video on your computer or internet enabled device, including a Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone, iPod, and Apple TV. Through the iTunes App Store is where viewers can purchase and view movies, TV shows, games, apps, books and more. There is some content available for free on iTunes, but most items will cost for downloading. TV shows, for example, run $1.99 for standard definition or $2.99 for HD. Prospect Park has announced that both current and past episodes of OLTL and AMC will cost .99 cents to view. iTunes may be the only option for fans who are unable to connect to Hulu.