1. Entertainment

OLTL Canceled Again!

By November 11, 2013

Courtesy of ABC

Well folks, it looks as though our favorite soap opera has been canceled for good this time! Although there has been no official word from Prospect Park, according to sources from ABC Soaps In Depth this is a done deal for both One Life to Live and All My Children.

Here is what SID announced today on their website: "a source close to actors from the shows tells Soaps In Depth, "It's over." Debbi Morgan (Angie, AMC) essentially confirmed as much when she responded to upset fans on Twitter. "Well we're all pretty much sad now for real since we've definitely been told it's a wrap," she posted. "My manager was given the news that we were officially done by PP's lawyer. Yeah, we've been canceled."

The sad part about the soaps ending this way was this time around there will be no wrap-up of the stories, and the fans and the shows will not get the grand farewell they deserved.

In related news, SID also reported that Disney will officially be turning the lights off for SOAPnet at the end of this year. This means fans will no longer have access to catch up on past episodes of General Hospital and Days of Our Lives, as well as the other shows that are being aired. The final date for SOAPnet will be on December 31, 2013.

Please share your comments below or email me about your thoughts of OLTL's cancellation.

Comments

November 11, 2013 at 6:22 pm
(1) kelly says:

i am crying as i read this i am sadmad fell let down. this is crazy. i cant believe that we are losing our soaps again.

November 11, 2013 at 7:31 pm
(2) Angie says:

This breaks my heart. One Life to Live was something I was able to share with my Mom for 15 years before she passed away, and by continuing to watch after her death I felt like I was keeping her close to me. The first time they canceled the show I was miserable, but was able to hang onto hope that it wasn’t over. Once it was brought back online, I felt like I had part of my family back, even if it was only a couple episodes per week. I wish they would have left it alone if they were just going to put us fans through this sadness yet again. Like you Kelly, I am angry and I also feel let down.

November 11, 2013 at 10:32 pm
(3) Jo says:

NO surprise here. PP squandered the biggest opportunity in TV history, to wrap up a 40 years run properly. They not only failed to wrap up the left over story lines from ABC, they created more even stupider ones and didn’t wrap those up either and ended in the SAME stupid cliffhanger.

Did they ever watch the ABC show? I have been watching the old shows lately, and it’s so obvious ABC really knew what they were doing in producing them, PP looks like an amateur who has no idea what a soap is. OLTL didn’t even look like Llanview. They got rid of all the old familiar places giving us stupid ones like shelter. And too many new characters.

The best part was to see the veteran actors playing Vicki, Clint, Bo, Nora, Todd, Blair, and Dorian again. They carried the show and you could see just how brilliant they really are. I hope someone else picks both shows up. There was talk Sony wanted them for NBC, but ABC/Disney wouldn’t sell them because they wanted them dead. They got their wish.

November 12, 2013 at 8:51 am
(4) Julie says:

Hi Katherine,

First I want to say thank you for providing this great newsletter all these years to help us keep up with OLTL and other people who love the show.

I am left feeling somewhat angry and very exhausted by this whole process. The first time the show ended, at least a few things were tied up and the cliffhanger was great, revealing Victor with Allison and Todd about to be arrested by John. This time around, there was really no cliffhanger, other than pretty much the same one minus the element of surprise. I know PP had good intentions (at least I hope so) but they really let us down.

The sad thing is they really wore the viewers out, waiting and hoping and writing letters and e-mails for so long. It was amazing to see the great cast and characters back but it hurt seven more to have everything yanked away. It does feel more final this time.

Again, thanks for everything you did all these years. I always looked forward to the next issue of the newsletter. I will never watch GH or any other show on ABC daytime. If OLTL andAMC come back, I will watch of course, but other than that, I am done.

Julie

November 13, 2013 at 11:18 am
(5) Terri says:

Julie’s right—BIG thanks and appreciation must go out to Katherine for her hard work and dedication to the OLTL site and OLTL’s fans. I know you were as excited as we were when OLTL returned. Katherine, and i’m sure you’re equally as disappointed in the cancellation.

I wish I could say that this news came as a real surprise or shock to me, but I became wary as soon as PP announced they’d be cutting back on the number of episodes airing each week. Their excuses and explanations did not ring true and it felt like I was hearing the same crap that ABC/Disney had spewed when they swore up and down that they stood by their soaps and they were not in danger of being canceled. It was “deja vu all over again”, so to speak. PP even led the actors on in the same manner—not returning their calls and leaving them in the dark. Of course, I already had my say as to how furious I was that OLTL fans were placed in the same position, yet AGAIN, at having to sign petitions, write to executives, etc. Just UNACCEPTABLE!!

So, I am not crying this time. I’m just exhausted and disgusted. I’ll watch GH, but not with the same rabid loyalty as I did with soaps in the old days, (so Soapnet’s impending demise doesn’t even phase me now, truthfully—it’s like, “yeah, buh-bye, whatever”). So sad that it’s come to this, but I wouldn’t let a person treat me like this in everyday life and I certainly won’t tolerate it from a bunch of faceless, overpaid executives who are going to use the demise of our beloved shows as nothing more than a huge tax write-off. That’s what it really means to THEM.

November 13, 2013 at 11:24 am
(6) Terri says:

@Jo: You are right on the money. I agree with everything you said. The only good thing I will say about OLTL’s ending? At least we saw Blair and Todd together again and married, even if secretly so. But, your observations were exactly my thoughts while watching the return.

November 13, 2013 at 11:31 pm
(7) DesaRe says:

I was so happy to have OLTL back, but they made it too short. They used poor excuses for ending it too. Losing a few actors isn’t a good excuse for ending a show. They were finally getting it back to where it needed to be then it was over. Any chance Oprah may reconsider and put them on OWN?

November 17, 2013 at 5:52 am
(8) joanne meadows says:

well i think if u were gonna conceal the show u should’ve even brought it back to begain w/i pd. to watch it an now ur concealing it u know that sucks an u left us hanging again i think u need to put it back on cause what all done was wrong again so i guess there’s gonna b alot of piss’d off ppl i know i am WHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 17, 2013 at 10:38 am
(9) kathleen Cappola says:

Thank you for all your years of keeping us up to date and informed
, i am so irrate because i went and but hulu plus and a thing to get it on mytv. I hope abc chokes on the chew which i hhaven’t met one person who likes it. I wish you success in all your furture endeavors. The soap fans are now extinct, this is so sad. I have been watching soaps for 50 years. So now i feel helpless.

November 17, 2013 at 11:32 am
(10) Johnny G says:

I am sincerely downhearted regarding this sad news. I thought at least All My Children would be spared, that was the word from Prospect Park several months ago, it did slightly better than One Life. Both shows On-line lacked the spark and connectivity that they had on Network TV.
I wish that ABC-TV would have them back, this time as half hour shows only. I also think they could consider combining the characters of each show since Pine Valley and Landview are near each other in PA. I would like to think that there is still a chance that one or both could resurface at some point.

November 17, 2013 at 11:43 am
(11) gg says:

Quite teasing the fans. Leave it alone.. If we can’t have our soaps back let us grieve then we can go on with our lives.. Being hurt and healing once was bad enough, “But Twice”..

November 17, 2013 at 11:51 am
(12) Lara says:

It was really ‘b’ grade and campy when it came back and only for a half hour. I loved the original and didn’t think the PP version was good at all.

November 17, 2013 at 12:43 pm
(13) Joan says:

This news is not what I have been waiting for at all. No wrap-up of the stories to at least give fans a feeling of closure. I am so disgusted with the whole nonsense of yes, maybe, and no. There are so many of OLTL fans who joined Hulu and waited patiently while what was promised never came. Curses to the whole kit and caboodle of it all. Shame on all of those in charge.

Thank you Katherine for keeping us posted.

November 17, 2013 at 2:40 pm
(14) Julia says:

that is really wrong with the stations, They should not have done this to any fan! They should be more responsible and respect for the fans sake to be at lest be fare with everyone and there shows. Please never take away our great shows and to make more of an option to others who has seen the shows over the years.

November 17, 2013 at 3:15 pm
(15) Loretta says:

This is so depressing. Why did prospect park spend all that money on sets and everything. They wasted money and everybody’s time. This is so sad

November 17, 2013 at 3:59 pm
(16) Lindley Pablo says:

I am so sad! One Life To Live was my FAVORITE show. I only started watching it in May 2008. And I am sad that Soapnet is going away. This is all just so sad.

November 17, 2013 at 6:46 pm
(17) India says:

I’m so sad that i am crying. After Prospect Park gave up hope they’ve taken it back! Why can’t cable with all these crazy channels that are a waste of time watching air All my children And One life to live? Own Channel showed all the new episodes that were first being seen on Hulu and ITunes so why can’t Oprah keep doing it? I believe Own channel will get more ratings and traffic with soaps than it’s doing now without. So many people watched The Own channel while All my children & One life to live temporarily aired than it did without. Oprah’s channel was lacking ratings. I can’t believe no one can help bring AMC and OLTL back on air..

November 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm
(18) Soap Watcher says:

The saddest part is that SoapNet is going off the air and turning it into a channel about babies. Just what we need; some other people to tell us how to raise our kids. With all the cooking shows on cable channels and the idiots who brought us “The Chew” it’s amazing that they want us to eat what they suggest…Duh And those people on the shows aren’t exactly the healthiest looking people on the planet. They need to stay out of our personal lives and just give us the entertainment we want – like Soaps. It seems everytime they break into a show with a “A News Story” it’s always during the Soaps on national channels; now we won’t even have Soapnet to catch what we missed!

Shame!!!!!

November 18, 2013 at 1:26 am
(19) chris says:

I watched a couple episodes of oltl and thought it looked cheap and there were to many scenes with the teens and not enough main characters
and too much of that stupid club!!!! I stopped watching and glad I did! I wanna remember oltl in the glory days of a time were you relaxed on the sofa with a cup of coffee and drifted away for a whole hour and everybody was on the show! Oh those were the days!!!!!!:)

November 18, 2013 at 4:07 am
(20) Sara s. says:

What!!!!! This is crazy why soap net now a lot of people who work during the day can’t watch general hosp or which ever soap they watch cause in all reality not everyone has dvr did you ever think about that I hope you guys reconsider before pulling the plug thankyou Sara from Bridgeport general hosp fan

November 18, 2013 at 1:44 pm
(21) Ed says:

This doesn’t make much sense without more info. Why the cancellation? Not enough viewers? Not making enough money? What’s the deal? There was talk of legal problems with ABC which is totally stupid because ABC mad the decision they did not to air the program anymore. When that decision is made, there should be no reason to deny PP from picking it up. The show JAG aired for 1 year on NBC and cancelled. Then CBS picked it up and it ran for 9 more years.

I guess what I’d like to know, is this a result of a legal battle between ABC and PP, or is it due to problems with PP itself? If so, what?

I liked the show after it went online, maybe better than when it was on the air. (Well, everything except for the theme song!) In some ways it was better than when it was on the air. What the regular networks are just beginning to realize is the time is quickly coming when most programming will be online. Proof of this is in the fact that the networks now allow people to watch complete episodes of programs on their websites.

November 18, 2013 at 2:12 pm
(22) FIREBALL Lewis says:

TOO SAD. THEY were doing well with some story lines and now there is no good ending. Why bother going to court just to cancel it? We had hope. Now it is gone. ABC daytime is full of fools.

November 18, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(23) Sue says:

So upset…..love them both and cannot believe we’ve been treated like this again. Double whammy!

November 19, 2013 at 12:55 am
(24) mentoria Jackson says:

I am very sad to hear the news about one life to live and about all my children I have been a big fan of both for a very, very, long time this just does not make any sense at all, I hope somebody will come in and fix this I’m still praying for a miracle

November 24, 2013 at 7:31 am
(25) David says:

I’m really sorry to lose SoapNet. It was such a convenient way to catch the soaps I missed during the day without worrying about a DVR. (even if they weren’t in HD at night :) …..Did I read SoapNet viewers were not counted in the ratings for number of viewers?

November 24, 2013 at 10:37 am
(26) Vicki says:

Very sad news, but I was expecting this since hiatus had gone on for so long. There was parts of the shows I didn’t care for, but that comes with any soap. All in all, it was good & I looked forward to watching them.

November 24, 2013 at 2:44 pm
(27) FIREBALL Lewis says:

FORGET THE FAN FICTION. IT IS NOT THE SAME AT ALL. I NEVER READ THOSE. WE WANT the real thing. I have romance books already. We grew to love those characters. We will never forget Vicki, Bo, Asa and all the ones we have loved for so long.

November 24, 2013 at 4:30 pm
(28) peg says:

I am SAD THAT OLTL IS DONE
I WATCHED IT WITH MY GRANDMOM WHEN I WAS 10
I WILL MISS VIKI
I CAN WATCH OLTL ON YOU TUBE
PEG

November 25, 2013 at 9:52 am
(29) Grantu8 says:

I wonder why PP accepted the choice of working with OLTL and then pretty much did nothing to get it going? None of this makes sense to me!
OLTL is my favorite daytime show, other than GH, and the fact is, several actors from OLTL now have more story lines that the people who should be GH! I have only seen Epiphany once or twice since the story line has changed to mostly GH people!!

November 25, 2013 at 11:21 pm
(30) Debby says:

I felt that OLTL and AMC just didn’t have it on the internet. AMC didn’t have Lucci for one. Didn’t care for the storylines for either soap. Didn’t like OLTL’s intro. No wonder they tanked. Feel bad for the actors though. Hope they find better projects.

November 27, 2013 at 3:19 pm
(31) Fireball Lewis says:

WHY IS IT THAT THERE is no real explanation of why this is happening? Why did Oprah buy this show if it would not continue? I am so confused. IF THERE IS A REAL EXPLANATION millions would like to hear it. We got excited for nothing. ugh grr

November 29, 2013 at 4:00 pm
(32) LT says:

With so many fans, this cancellation is very confusing and doesn’t make any sense. Maybe the people that manage these shows, the budget, etc should review their business plan and find the right way to do it.

December 1, 2013 at 9:31 am
(33) susan says:

i am sooooo dam mad at prospect park they put all my chrildren and one life to live back on, but now again they are putting great actors out of a job again. well i hope they are happy now, they got us all excited about our shows back on , now they take them away again. well personality i have had enough of them (prospect park) i will NEVER watch anything they put on!! i wish all the actors the best you are the greatest people, and actors ever! i have loved you and your acting since the shows started. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU,and thank you. tomsfan1@aol.com

December 1, 2013 at 9:39 am
(34) sue says:

i am soooo dam mad at prospect park. you are nothing but a big tease! i have had enough of your playing around. you put the greatest actors out of work again. i wish the actors the best of luck you are the best in my eyes and heart GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU AND THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US HAPPY for many years.prospect park you will not get me roped in again! i am done with you.

December 1, 2013 at 9:51 pm
(35) lanell says:

fireball–where did you get your source from regarding Oprah buying OLTL & AMC?? Oprah never bought any soaps! She had the 40 episodes aired on her show for the summer—the same 40 episodes that were on Hulu!! and, to others in here blaming it all on PP, well you are wrong in your accusations! ABC is the one to blame in the 1st place for cancelling the 2 soaps, and PP tried to appease the fans- wishes! it didn’t work out- the lawsuit didn’t help either! plus, ppl complaining it was online instead of TV!

December 1, 2013 at 11:44 pm
(36) GemmaG says:

I thought PP did a great job with both OLTL and AMC. Tighter cast, story lines and lighting/direction. Loved the music and the continuation from the show I watched for 30 years. Although I’m glad RH is on GH now, OLTL’s greatness was due to the ensemble cast, RH and ES only at the pinnacle. OLTL was the one show I never NOT watched… from grade school, thru highschool, grad school, and on to motherhood. I had hoped to watch it with my child. It really is disappointing to once again not be able to watch OLTL. ABC did the show right, and PP made it better, yet different. I think the end had great possibilities for another season, with new fans and/or long time viewers like me. Now for the hard questions, did ABC deal fairly with Prospect Park? Did PP have a chance to make a competing show; what were the legal disputes all about? If Hulu and Netflix can make serial shows almost as good, would they want to pick up the production? Is there a chance the show was a test and it could still get picked up? Because as we know, there are many lives to live on OL. May it live on still!

December 2, 2013 at 10:31 am
(37) auntab says:

personally, i feel betrayed and am totally disgusted…first by ABC for the way they handled things in the first place and then allowing PP to boost the fans (and actors) up by letting PP make a cable deal to show our soaps on line, which i thought was great…loved being able to watch my shows again, only to find out that not only did ABC screw us the loyal fans who keep them on the air, but now they screwed PP and 3 of their own actors…WHAT THE HELL…i’m just so disappointed in TPTB at abc…they all suck and should not be allowed to run a network..i mean after all abc used to be the no. 1 channel to watch, great shows, etc. now, not so much..now the execs have run abc right into the toilet…i hope they are all happy and satisfied on what a great job they have done and are doing…

December 8, 2013 at 12:36 pm
(38) Marsha says:

These people that put this on are very caring but, they had no money or no how to put it on. They wanted all of us to be happy but, didn’t no how to handle everything. They didn’t realize how much they need for the show and putting it on well. I’m sure it was the backers who put these shows on. It’s always about money. Thank you all for trying and giving us a little of what we loved. Take care be happy and laugh. We grow from every experience. We just can’t hang on to the past. We have to adjust to change.

December 18, 2013 at 6:32 am
(39) Charlotte says:

We want Soap Network back again. It is the channel we watch as we work during the day and cannot watch our favorite Soaps.

Please bring it back.

January 1, 2014 at 7:42 pm
(40) alice scott says:

I grow up on soap operas. Soap net was part of my life.
Was therpy.at night. After working all day!
Know need in canceling soap net for disney network that support gays.
Please beinf soapnet bacj.
alot.of.angry soap opera fansi

January 7, 2014 at 10:26 pm
(41) Nadeem Athar says:

I used to be a fan of OLTL but I still can comprehend why OLTL and even AMC fans are disappointed that they are back to “square one” so when I learned that AMC & OLTL were returning but this time on-line I felt that Brian Frons (though I don’t expect everyone to like him) to be partly forgiven since he’s allegedly responsible for their cancellation from ABC but now that these soaps are cancelled again I actually can understand why some viewers could be back to blaming Mr Frons,therefore,if it probably wasn’t for him maybe AMC & OLTL would still be broadcasting on ABC.

January 8, 2014 at 10:14 am
(42) kelly says:

i agree brian frons should have left thesesoaps alone and so should abc. they shouldnt have touch them

January 25, 2014 at 10:27 pm
(43) Lori says:

I was a mess the first time they quit… and was more upset on how the return came back. Hated Shelter and how everyone was swearing.. and how the kids turned into jerks Hated what they were doing with Roger both on OLTL and on GH. No come back for Kristen and Mike.. Was more then pissed at both shows.. I only watched for about 2 months and quit. It was a disappointment.

January 31, 2014 at 12:41 am
(44) Trina says:

I sure as heck WONT be watching GH as it STOPPED being
“General Hospital” a very long time ago. Its now STILL about the mob as ABC lied to fans yet again when they said they QUIT with the mob story lines then resurrected the Jerome’s. The Jerome’s sucked the first time they were on as they do NOW. Wont be watching.