1. Entertainment

Former OLTL Actor Clint Ritchie Dies

By February 3, 2009

Clint Ritchie (ex-Clint Buchanan) Dead at Age 70 - Photo copyright by SOD I'm sad to report that one of OLTL's most beloved soap veterans, Clint Ritchie (ex-Clint Buchanan) has died. Ritchie, who had suffered a heart attack in late January, went in to the hospital to have a pacemaker implanted, but unfortunately died only 10 hours later when a deadly blood clot formed. The 70-year old actor, and whom had also been an avid horseman, died quietly in his sleep in the early morning on Saturday, January 31.

Ritchie, was best known for his 20-year stretch as Llanview's "Clint Buchanan," the oldest son of oil tycoon, "Asa Buchanan." In the late 50's and 60's, the 6' 1" actor had also starred in a number of TV westerns, including the 1965 pilot for The Wild Wild West. Other movies include, Patton, Joe Kidd, and Against a Crooked Sky, as well as, his many roles in various television shows throughout his career. Ritchie first joined the cast of OLTL back in 1979, but decided to retire in 1998. Although he had reprised the role in several guest appearances, the role was eventually recast with actor Jerry verDorn, who is currently playing the role of Clint Buchanan.

Ritchie, who was also known by his nickname "Bucky," lived on his 60-acre spread, which was named the Happy Horse Ranch and is located near Grass Valley, California. Although Ritchie had many friends and family, the handsome actor was never married, nor did he have any children.

Clint Ritchie (ex-Clint Buchanan) Dead at Age 70 - Photo copyright by ABC Daytime Ritchie's death will surely saddened the hearts of his former OLTL co-stars, as well as his many fans throughtout the world, and my thoughts and prayers go out to all his family and friends.

Comments

February 3, 2009 at 3:28 pm
(1) wholetruthy says:

rest in peace cowboy

February 4, 2009 at 1:34 am
(2) Deb says:

CR is the only Clint to me and I have missed him from the day he left OLTL. I’m sad he never got to come back and reclaim his role as Clint. I will truely miss him! Rest in peace.

February 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm
(3) Terri says:

I am deeply saddened to hear this. My prayers and thoughts are with his family. All of us fans will miss him very much.

February 8, 2009 at 10:06 pm
(4) Jillian says:

The true Clint always! God bless Clint Ritchie’s family during this terrible time. Again, I am so saddened to read this, I know it is not the same as us losing one of our own but it is sad all the same. Rest in peace!

February 10, 2009 at 9:40 am
(5) Roz says:

My heart and prayers go to his family. I grew up watching him play Clint Buchanan. It is especially hard to hear this news at the same time of learning of Phil Carey’s death. May they both rest in peace.

February 10, 2009 at 11:48 am
(6) Maureen says:

We have missed both of them on the show, but their memory will live on.

February 10, 2009 at 12:35 pm
(7) Debbie Niemczyk says:

It’s so sad to hear about Clint Richie. I had met him several times, he was a real gentleman. He’ll be missed, I had hoped he’d come back to “his” role.

February 13, 2009 at 7:26 pm
(8) Debby says:

Clint was always my favorite on OLTL and I was so upset and shocked to hear of his passing. And then Phil Carey loses his battle with cancer. It is so hard to believe they are both gone but they leave a legacy with their strong presences and strong performances which won’t be forgotten!

I hope the show can find a way to celebrate their “One Lives” on the show.

Condolences go out to the families of these OLTL greats!

February 24, 2009 at 3:27 pm
(9) Eve says:

You will be miss I watch you most of my life R/I/P Mr Ritchie

February 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm
(10) Linda says:

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Mr. Ritchie. No one will ever replace him in the role of Clint Buchanan. My condolences to the family. I know the pain after losing my son a few months ago. May they be enjoying the great outdoors in heaven.

February 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm
(11) gioni says:

i couldn’t believe it & didn’t realize he was that old. he was the best clint. he use to date Candace Early who played dixie on all my children. he’s gone to that big soap opera in the sky :)

February 24, 2009 at 7:40 pm
(12) Kathy says:

I don’t know where I’ve been because I follow the news all the time, yet I had no idea that Mr Ritchie had passed away until they did a quick tribute to him at the end of OLTL today

I was shocked.

I had heard that Phil Carey passed away a couple of weeks ago which also saddened me very much, but had NO idea that Clint had passed too.

RIP Mr Ritchie and the real Clint B.

You touched our lives for so many years as did Mr. Carey and both of you will be missed by all your fans and OLTL family and friends.

I’m sure that Robert Woods is very upset because the three of them were close off-screen as well as on.

My deepest condolences are extended to both families, their OLTL families/friends, especially Mr. Woods

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm
(13) Molly says:

Candice Early played Donna on all my children. I also had no idea Clint had died until I saw it at the end of one life today. It was sad news.

March 10, 2009 at 6:46 pm
(14) Tracy says:

I did not know til yesterday (March 9th ) RIP and you have been missed for a long time

March 14, 2009 at 7:49 pm
(15) peg claydon says:

i will miss clint
he was a great actor on
one life to live

March 14, 2009 at 7:49 pm
(16) peg claydon says:

i will miss clint
he was a great actor on
one life to live

April 10, 2009 at 3:24 pm
(17) Gloria says:

Loved watching you on the show. Now go ride those horses in heaven with Phil Carey. Rest in peace. God bless.